Our School App Stay connected on the go...
Helping your Child with her GCSE Examinations
GCSE examinations can be a worrying prospect for your child and she will be under a great deal of pressure with coursework deadlines and examination preparation. Parents/Carers may find it difficult to support their children through this time. This parent guide is a list of possible strategies that may help you with this support.
Please ensure that you:
• Ensure that your child attends school regularly and on time;
• Talk to your daughter about her learning, work she has to do and deadlines;
• Contact your daughter’s tutor if you have any questions or concerns about your daughter;
• Attend Parents’ evening;
• Check your daughter’s revision timetable for mock exams which are in December;
• Check your daughter’s examination timetable and ensure she understands when her exam take place;
• Read your daughter’s copy of the Summer Examination Timetable;
• Attend all meetings and workshops organised for parents to assist their children with GCSE work.
Students will have many deadlines to meet during this year.
You can help your daughter by:
• Monitoring her coursework. Find out what she has to do and when it has to be handed in;
• Making sure she is doing some work every evening;
• Contacting her tutor if she says she has no work to do, or if she is worried about a piece of work;
• Encouraging her to attend clubs, half-term, Easter, and Saturday revision classes;
• Encouraging her to buy study guides;
• Encouraging her to use the numerous websites available to support her coursework and revision e.g. http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/ks4bitesize/english;
• Encouraging her to go on curriculum based school trips.
Practical Support that you can offer:
• Provide her with a quiet place to study;
• Make sure she takes regular breaks;
• Ensure that she eats healthy food and drinks plenty of water;
• Test her on the work she has been revising or encourage older siblings to test her;
• Ensure that she goes to bed at a reasonable time and gets enough sleep;
• Ensure that she revises thoroughly for both the mock and final examinations.
You can contact your daughter’s tutor/head of year if you wish to discuss any GSCE related issues.